Garrett has been a clinic tech at EyeCare Specialties for the past three years. As a clinic tech, he assists the patient through all of the preoperative procedures and performs all diagnostic testing before the doctor sees the patient. He loves working with patients and helping them achieve a higher quality of life through enhanced vision.
1. How long have you been running?I was an active athlete back in high school, but never a runner. I started running in college to keep some pounds off and found a passion in stretching distance and time. I have now started running for pace and find pace to be a huge motivator.
2. Is this your first marathon?
Yes. I am running the half-marathon for the very first time. I found my motivation has encouraged me to register for my second later in the year.
3. What has your training been like?
I try to run 3-4 days a week, depending on the weather, getting my longer runs in during the nicer weather. On my short runs I’ve been running with a strong emphasis on time and intensity. I’ve been training on my own, trusting and feeling where I’m at and where I need to be and knowing that race day will bring extra adrenaline.
4. What do you run for? What motivates you?
Self-assurance; knowing I can set a goal and strive to reach it. This has been a true test to stay the course and complete what I have set out to reach.
5. Do you have a running mantra?
It’s my mantra for life, really: “Focus and Go” No matter what you do in life, just put your mind to something and go for it. (*We we so inspired by Garrett’s mantra, we decided to use it as the title of this series.)
6. What gear is important to you when running a half-marathon?
Shoes. Shoes have been my greatest asset. My SMITH sunwear is important for keeping my eyes protected, and my smart watch has been so crucial for keeping pace.
7. Favorite running songs on your playlist?
1. Light it Up by Major Lazer
2. The Fire by The Roots
3. Any upbeat country
8. What are you excited about running this particular half-marathon?
Looking forward to the support crowd. I’ve heard Lincoln brings a great atmosphere, and knowing my parents and friends will be in the crowd motivates me that much more.